In-Home Services

In-Home Services

In-Home Services

Huntingdon-Bedford-Fulton Area Agency on Aging

If you are looking for quality in-home care services for older adults and adults with functional disabilities, you have come to the right place. At the Huntingdon-Bedford-Fulton Area Agency on Aging, we believe everyone should have the ability to live life to the fullest, with dignity. We help residents throughout all of Bedford, Fulton, and Huntingdon counties access the services they need to complete the activities of daily life and be as healthy – and happy – as possible. All services can be tailored to meet the needs of the individual.

Whether you simply need an extra hand around the house for an hour or two a day following surgery or as a result of certain limitations, or you require more intensive assistance around the clock, we are with you every step of the way. We understand that most people prefer to remain as independent as possible within the comfort of the home environment. The Huntingdon-Bedford-Fulton Area Agency on Aging is pleased to be able to assist you with accessing professional care delivered with reliability and warmth.

Assistive Services

Home Help: Bathing, Dressing, Hygiene, Shopping, Cooking & Laundry

Assistive Services

Personal Care

The Personal Care programs provide hands-on care for functionally dependent older adults who require assistance with personal care activities, such as general daily hygiene, bathing, dressing, and taking medications. Personal Care services can also include assistance with tasks that support independent living in the home, such as laundry, shopping for essential needs, and light housekeeping. Caregiver respite is available through this program, as well. Learn more about Cost Sharing here.

Home Support

Home Support Assistance provides help with daily living activities, such as shopping, cooking, personal laundry, and light housekeeping. These services are provided through contract by Agency providers within Bedford, Fulton, and Huntingdon counties. Learn more about Cost Sharing here.

Personal Emergency Response (PERS) Services

PERS is an electronic device which enables certain high-risk consumers to call for and receive help in the event of an emergency. PERS services are limited to consumers who live alone or are alone for significant parts of the day. They must also be at significant risk for falls, have an unstable medical condition, and have no regular caretaker for extended periods of time (or live with an individual who may be unable to promptly call for help in the event of an emergency). The consumer must be capable of using this device. Learn more about Cost Sharing here.

Care Management

Care Management

Provides an assessment to arrange for various community-based services that will assist the older adult with remaining in their home. These services are provided for consumers determined to have multiple, complex problems that require the coordination of services. It also serves as the method of accessing the long-term care system for both the older adult and family. Learn more about Cost Sharing here.

Transitioning From a Nursing Home

Transition From Nursing Home to Your Own Home

Nursing Home Transition

For most individuals, nursing home living is not meant to be a permanent arrangement. The Nursing Home Transition process identifies nursing home residents who want to move from the nursing home back to the comfort and independence of their own home, another private home in the community setting, or to another living arrangement with a lower level of care. The nursing home transition coordinator will discuss your options and assist with coordinating the transition from start to finish.

What Are Nursing Home Transition Services?

Nursing Home Transition Services are a coordinated effort of the Office of Long-Term Living, the Department Of Human Services, and all qualified Nursing Home Transition Agencies to ensure nursing home residents understand their choices and have the opportunity to return home or to another setting if they qualify.

How Can Nursing Home Transition Services Help Me?

Your transition coordinator will help you:

  • Interact with nursing home personnel concerning your transition
  • Locate housing suitable to meet your needs
  • Understand the services available to you through Home and Community-based Service Programs
  • Coordinate formal, as well as informal, supports
  • Obtain assistance for moving or setting up a household
  • Arrange for equipment and supplies needed to keep you safe

Services are available to help care for you at home, including:

  • Personal Care
  • Personal Emergency Response System
  • Home Delivered Meals
  • Home Support
  • Nursing Services
  • Respite Care
  • Caregiver Reimbursement For Care & Supplies
  • Equipment & Modifications

Based on medical and financial eligibility and available funding, you may qualify for these and other home and community-based services.

What Are The Steps To Accessing Transition Services?

Long-term Living Counseling is provided by the nursing home social services department to all nursing home residents within the first 30 days of admission to the facility, and once annually. The purpose of Long-term Living Counseling is to discuss your long-term plans, provide educational information, and discuss your choices. If you are interested in returning to the community or to another living arrangement with a lower level of care, your nursing home social worker will provide a list of qualified Nursing Home Transition Coordination Agencies and a referral will be made to the selected agency.

Who is involved in the transition?

The Nursing Home Transition Coordinator works with you, as the resident, or your responsible party and others you may choose as part of the process, including family, caregivers, physician, and nursing staff to ensure a safe and adequate charge.

Request Nursing Home Transition Services

How to Request Nursing Home Transition Services

If you are a nursing home resident interested in returning to the community or to another living arrangement with a lower level of care, your nursing home social worker will provide a list of qualified Nursing Home Transition Coordination Agencies and a referral will be made to the selected agency. 

The Huntingdon-Bedford-Fulton Area Agency on Aging is an approved Nursing Home Transition Coordination Agency and we would be pleased to assist you with your transition back to home or a less-restrictive community living environment. We can assist you directly with or without a referral. Contact your local county office of the Huntingdon-Bedford-Fulton Area Agency on Aging or call: the Bedford County Administrative Office of the Huntingdon-Bedford-Fulton Area Agency on Aging for more information at: 814-623-8148 or 1-800-892-7903.

Additional information is available at the Department of Human Services Website. (Search for “Nursing Home Transition”)

Learn more about Cost Sharing here.

Home Delivered Meals

Home Delivered Meals

Nutritious meals are provided for individuals who are physically disabled, homebound, or otherwise isolated and unable to prepare their own meals. The consumer is able to receive up to 7 frozen meals that are delivered weekly to the consumer’s home. Learn more about Cost Sharing here.

How to Pay For In-Home Personal Care

How to Pay For In-Home Personal & Supportive Care Services

Paying for Services

Cost Sharing

Cost Sharing

The PA Department of Aging has mandated that all Area Agencies on Aging participate in cost sharing in an effort to help insure the continuation of services for older persons. Under the plan, seniors will be asked to share in the cost of their in-home service based on income. At the time of the assessment, care management staff will be required to document income in order to calculate the consumer’s share of the cost of their service. An income document will be required.

Medical Assistance Waiver

What is the PDA Waiver Program?

The Pennsylvania Department of Aging Waiver Program is for people age 60 and older. Under the program, home and community-based services can be provided to consumers as an alternative to nursing home care. It is a “waiver” program because services are funded through a special waiver of Medicaid restrictions, allowing payments typically used for nursing home care to be used instead for home care services.

How can the PDA Waiver Program help me?

After a thorough assessment to determine eligibility, services may be available to help consumers live comfortably at home. A referral will be made to the Independent Enrollment Broker(IEB) for the enrollment process for individuals determined to need nursing facility level services.

Who will provide services to me?

If a consumer is determined medically and financially eligible for waiver services, the IEB will provide the consumer with choice of providers.



  • Age 60 and above
  • Medicaid financial eligible
  • 300% of SSI per month and a limit of $8,000 in resources for consumer in need of PDA Waiver Program services
  • Require the level of care of a nursing facility
  • Choose to be served in the community at a cost to the Waiver Program not to exceed 80% of the average Medicaid payment for a nursing facility in Pennsylvania
  • The 80% is based on a 12-month average of statewide payments
  • Reside in a location where Waiver community-based slots are available


  • Homemaker Services
  • Personal Care
  • Home-Delivered Meals
  • Medical Supplies And Equipment
  • Nursing Services
  • Transportation
  • Caregiver Respite Services
  • Emergency Response System

The consumer and the Care Manager will determine appropriateness of services, and the Care Manager will authorize services. When no provider of choice is expressed, available certified providers are assigned.


Initial application

The consumer (or person acting on their behalf) contacts The Huntingdon-Bedford-Fulton Agency on Aging and requests an assessment. The process begins with requesting an MA0-51 Form from the consumer’s physician.

The assigned Care Manager/Assessor conducts a face-to-face assessment using the Functional Eligibility Deterrent (FED) Form. A referral will be made to the Independent Enrollment Broker (IEB) to the Department of Human Services programs. Consumer choice of providers will be given by the IEB.